- Focus Areas + Initiatives
- Get Involved
National TV Safety Day is February 3rd: Keep your home safe this Super Bowl Sunday
Sharing is caring!
You have the pigs-in-a-blanket made, the dips and chips set out, the channel set to the big game…but have you checked to make sure your TV is properly secured?
Every 45 minutes a child is treated in the ER due to a TV tipping over1. This Saturday, February 3rd, is National TV Safety Day. Strategically recognized on the Saturday before the Super Bowl, or one the most-watched events on television annually, this day creates awareness for this type of accident.
Here are a few quick facts about child injuries related to falling televisions:
There are ways to make your home’s televisions safer and more stable. Here are some tips to help keep your children safe from a tipping over television – not just for this Super Bowl Sunday, but for every day!2
- Assess the stability of all of the TVs in your home.
- Mount flat-panel TVs to the wall to prevent them from falling off stands. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions to determine if the television has a secure fit.
- If you have a heavier, box style television (CRT TV), place it on a low and stable piece of furniture that is appropriate for the TV’s size and weight.
- Use brackets, braces, or wall straps to secure unstable or top-heavy furniture to the wall.
- If you don’t use the CRT TV in your home, consider recycling it. Visit GreenerGadgets.org to find a location to safely and easily recycle unwanted TVs.
Resources and more information: