- Focus Areas + Initiatives
- Get Involved
Boating Safety Tips for National Safe Boating Week
Sharing is caring!
In honor of National Safe Boating Week, here are a few tips for parents to ensure that their children are having fun in the sun while staying safe in the water!
- Always have your children wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device (PFD) while on boats, around open bodies of water, or participating in water sports.
- Always wear a life jacket to set a good example for your kids.
- Never drink alcoholic beverages while boating.
- Complete a boating safety course.
- Explain basic boat rules and have everyone in the boat follow them. It is important for children to understand and follow rules such as keeping their hands and feet inside the boat at all times, and not running on the boat.
- Enroll your children in swimming lessons when you feel they are ready.
For more information on how to keep your child safe in the water, please visit SafeKids.org