- Focus Areas + Initiatives
- Get Involved
- 2022 Leadership Conference Resources
Window Falls Cause 3,300 Injuries Each Year
Sharing is caring!
The weather in Georgia is beautiful and this is the time of year when families are opening their windows to take advantage of the rising temperatures. We at Safe Kids Georgia want to provide you with a few window safety tips to allow your kids to explore the outside without the risk of falling through an unsecured window. Window falls account for approximately 8 deaths and 3,300 injuries among children ages 5 and under each year.
Safe Kids Georgia recommends the following 4 tips to help prevent window falls:
- Keep windows closed and locked. To be safe, try to remember to keep windows closed and locked whenever children are around or they are not in use.
- Open windows that a child cannot reach. If you have windows that can open from both top and bottom, make a habit of opening just the top to help prevent accidental falls. Keep in mind that as kids grow, they may have enough strength, dexterity and curiosity to open the bottom.
- Keep kids from playing near windows. For your crawlers and climbers, move chairs, cribs and other furniture away from windows to help prevent window falls. Screens are meant to keep bugs out, not kids in.
- Determine your family’s emergency escape plan and practice it. Remember that windows may be your escape route during an emergency. If you plan to install window guards or stops, make sure they include an emergency release device in case of a fire.
For more fall prevention tips, click here.